New Brainzooming Articles at Brainzooming.com

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What New Is Ahead for You in 2009?

Somebody asked me how many years I’d worked at the same place. When I told him eighteen, he wondered aloud if I had eighteen years of experience – or two years of experience, nine times over.

That this person calls me every few years to apparently tear me down is beyond the point.

His comment is a great challenge for all of us at the start of the year: What specific learning and development goals are you setting for yourself so you’re noticeably different at the end of 2009?

In other words, what do you want to get out of 2009?

1 comment:

Mike Brown said...

What They've Been Saying About This Post at mikebrownspeaks.blogspot.com:

kevin fullerton said...
Over the past 20 years I've had nine jobs. It would be fair to ask if I have 20 years of experience, or if I've simply started over every two years. I launched my own business three years ago. My challenge (and thus goal) is to find ways to keep it fresh. In this environment, you have to constantly grow or you're history.
January 6, 2009 6:31 AM

Jan said...
The great thing is ... you don't have to get a new job to constantly grow. Even if your job is stifling, you can learn new skills (such as blogging!) on your own. I'm in a lucky learning position: As a consultant, I continually have the opportunity to learn new businesses, etc. And I'm going to have to think a bit before I can articulate the 2009 learning goal!
January 6, 2009 6:52 AM

Anonymous said...
As you know, I spent 33 years at the same place, but every day was a learning and growing experience. Working with a new business, finding new talent, dreaming up new advertising campaigns. dealing with broadcast egos, etc, but i loved it!love.....dad
January 6, 2009 11:31 AM

Mike Brown said...
Kevin, Jan, and Dad - thanks for the comments. Growing all the time is so vital.

In 18 years, the company has been through about 8 or 9 different incarnations. In response, I've reinvented myself multiple times - to contribute in newer, more relevant ways or for survival or to expand my horizons.

It really does come down to each of us to find where the next meaningful place to grow is. For a great post on this, check out Chris Brogan's post about being President of Your Career: http://www.chrisbrogan.com/you-are-the-president-of-your-career/

Mike
January 6, 2009 8:54 PM